This Thursday’s Town Hall at the JCC offers our neighbors a chance to put our concerns directly to the ears of public officials, civil servants and out largest utility company. Also in this issue, an update on the Security Patrol; the big repaving of a wretched walkway in Riverside Park and a fete honoring the neighborhood’s Joan of Arc memorial.
Got A Complaint?
Better Call Rosenthal!
Join us at
Helen Rosenthal’s Town Hall
Thursday, April 26, 6pm-9pm
Jewish Community Center (JCC)
334 Amsterdam Avenue (Corner West 76th Street)
To R.S.V.P., Call 212-873-0282 x 206 (Rosenthal)
This is your opportunity to directly engage representatives of City agencies and Con Ed (see list). Bring your questions!
- Consolidated Edison (Con Ed) electricity, natural gas, steam heat
- Dept. of Transportation (DOT) traffic lights, street lamps, road repair, street safety (stop signs, yield signs, traffic calming measures, etc.)
- Dept. of Sanitation (DSNY)
- Dept. of Buildings (DOB) (construction permits, building violations, building safety)Dept. of Environmental Protection (DEP)
- New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA
- Human Resources Administration (HRA) homeless shelters, street homeless
- Dept. of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
- Dept. of Parks and Recreation (DPR) parks, playgrounds, public statues and monuments
- Dept. of Housing Preservation & Development (HPD) develops permanent affordable housing, emergency shelters, responsible for inappropriate placement of predators near schools (See NYSDOCJ Meagan’s List to verify current information and practices)
Winners in the Participatory Budget project polling will be announced at the Town Hall on Thursday.
Riverside Park’s Path Repaving
Contract To Be Registered Soon
(east side of Crab Apple Grove, 92nd to 95th Streets)
More than four years ago, Council Member Helen Rosenthal allocated funds to rebuild the mezzanine level path on the east side of Riverside Park.
NYC Parks and Recreation officials informed N90s that the contract to repave this presently unsafe patchwork of asphalt patches is about to be registered with the City.
The rebuilding contract has been combined with two other City Parks repaving projects under one contract, that will take a full year to complete.
The good news is that work is expected to begin by this summer.
A similar project that Ms. Rosenthal funded under Participatory Budget voting was completed in Fall 2017 on the path running along the upper level, between the 95th Street and 91st Street entrances to Riverside Park at Riverside Drive. That work took almost a year to complete.
Guard Service Coming Soon
Neighborhood In The Nineties is expecting to wrap up the first phase of fundraising for the security patrol which will cover 93rd to 95th Streets, Riverside Drive to Broadway very soon. The association has previously operated a security patrol from 1990 to 2000, and in the late 1970s. The patrol would operate from 4 PM to midnight weekdays and 6 PM to 2 AM on weekends.
A group in the upper West 90s has contacted the association to coordinate security services, as they try to improve street safety in our Upper West Side neighborhood.
City Covers Up Beatings, Stabbings and
Murders at Homeless Shelters
Join the Party!
2nd Annual Fete for Joan of Arc
Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 5:00 p.m., NYC Parks officials, and members of the Riverside Park Conservancy together with the Joan of Arc Statue Committee, will welcome visitors and Upper West Side residents to a celebration of the beginning of the summer season at The Statue of Joan of Arc at Riverside Drive and West 93rd Street.
This free public, party atmosphere event, “La Fête de Jeanne d’Arc,” coincides with St. Joan’s Feast Day celebrated throughout the world. The event will feature live music performed by New York’s own Via Paris Jazz Band, and refreshments from the renowned Ladurée restaurant.
The Joan of Arc statue is New York City’s first statue of a woman and the first statue to be sculpted by a woman, Anna Hyatt Huntington.
Part of Riverside Park, Joan of Arc Park was dedicated nearly 100 years ago. It will be undergoing a major re-design and renovation shortly.